Home Energy Assistance Program/HEAP
* Facilitates applications for financial assistance to low income individuals through the Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP), which offers various benefit components
- Regular benefit: assists low income individuals with the cost of heating their home. Regular HEAP applications: Open November 12, 2019
- Emergency benefit: assists low income individuals who are facing a heat or heat related energy emergency. Open January, 2 2020.
- Heating equipment repair or replacement: assists low income homeowners repair/replace their furnace. Heating Equipment Repair or Replacement applications: Open November 4, 2019.
- Heating Equipment Tune-Up: provides equipment inspections and cleanings prior to the start of the heating season. Heating Equipment Tune-Up Component Applications: Open November 4, 2019.
- Cooling Assistance: provides cooling assistance service to HEAP eligible households that include an individual with a documented medical condition that is exacerbated by heat. Cooling Assistance Applications: Open May 1, 2020.
Eligibility: Low income or recipient of Temporary Assistance and/or SNAP benefits. Income guidelines apply. Furnace repair: home must be owner-occupied. For cooling assistance, must qualify for HEAP and also have at least one family member with a medical condition made worse by heat.
Application Process: Regular benefits: By mail, on-line, or over the phone. SNAP recipient households: Call worker for assistance. Temporary assistance households: call worker assigned to household. All other households: Call appointment line. Call for information. Emergency benefits: Must apply over the phone or in person. Must have already received a regular HEAP benefit. Online application at www.mybenefits.ny.gov/mybenefits/begin
Required Documentation: Call for more information.
Fees: No fee for service.
Coverage Note: Cayuga County.
This program is offered at this site:
Auburn NY 13021
Cayuga County Department of Social Services administers social programs and services for individuals and families in Cayuga County.
Auburn NY 13021
Hours: M-F 8:00AM-5:00PM Most departments have staff available during these hours
M-F 8:00AM-4:00PM July/August
Call for information
Please click here